2021 Recruiting Update
Class Size: 25 (NFL departures and transfers)
1 QB, 2 RBs, 4 OL, 4 WRs, 5 DL, 4 LB, 5 DBs
Commitments (highest ranking attained by one service listed)
1. Cody Jackson 6-1, 180, 4.4 WR Texas 4 Star/Top 100 – Jackson is incredibly close to Cede Lamb considers him a mentor. Jackson has excellent speed and is an elite WR in Texas
2. Ethan Downs 6-4, 245, 4.7 DE/OLB OK 4 Star/Top 100 – Downs had a huge spring camp tour last year and received offers from almost every SEC and Big 12 power. He had a fantastic junior year where he just dominated.
3. Cullen Montgomery 6-5, 320, 5.4 OG/OT Texas 4 Star/Top 250 – Cullen was one of the first OL offers by BnB and is part of an extremely talented OL class in Texas for 2021. Monty probably projects at OG. He’s extremely physical and mobile for a big man and is already talking about enrolling early.
2022 Commits (Have to track 2022 now)
1. Kobie McKenzie 6-3, 225, 4.6 LB (Top 50 Nationally) – Verbaled to OU in January and gives OU their potentially highest rated LB recruit since Caleb Kelly. He’s going to be huge presence for OU in recruiting in 2021 and 2022. His film is just elite as a high school sophomore.
The big blow/news in 2021 recruiting was obviously the loss of Brock Vandagriff right after Christmas. This combined with the bad loss to LSU kind of took the positive wind out of OU’s recruiting sails a bit.
OU has rallied at QB by making Five Star Top Ten QB Caleb Williams their new QB focus. Williams visited OU even when Brock was OU’s clear focus at QB. In fact, all signs indicated that OU could have gotten Williams early verbal save for the fact OU grabbed the attention of Vandagriff. Still, OU is going all out for Williams now and he’s the only 2021 QB offer. LSU seemed to have a big lead but despite their title win has lost some momentum with all of their staff transitions. And UGA who was also in this race, had dropped out by picking up Vandagriff. So OU with LR is going to make it clear Caleb you are our guy at least until Mid March but at that point OU is going to need to get some other QB offers out there unless Caleb is cruising towards an OU verbal.
Recruiting schedule wise news. February in 2020 is a dead period. No coaches on the road, no prospects visiting campus. No in person contact allowed at all. This is a huge change from last year when schools across the country hosted a myriad of “junior day events” and a lot of programs landed a number of verbals. This year, OU had only 3 weekends January to get in as many high quality prospects 2021/2022/even 2023 as possible.
Also, this change is going to make March an absolute madhouse of recruiting news, recruiting visits, even more evaluations and offers, and the start of Spring football as well.
Finally, schedule wise OU can start scheduling official visits in April, and will certainly plan some visits for the Spring Game (April 10th or the April 17th, Friday night or Saturday is still TBD). And OU has over 28 official visits left to use this April thru June time period. The real balancing act will be who should you bring in and when. In retrospect last year, OU probably used some visits too early on some prospects for the Spring game. And maybe not bring in so many official kids for the Spring Game stretching their coaching resources when they also want a large number of 2022 kids to visit unofficially as well. Also, I could see LR dedicating one weekend to Caleb Williams as well.
OU did not do huge cattle drive weekends instead focusing on more personal one on one attention for the visiting targets. Overall, with two coaching positions in flux OU probably had as successful a January as possible minus some cancellations from kids that OU really likes.
One of those kids visiting was Cullen Montgomery and OU was able to secure his early commitment.
Top Ten Kids to Visit Norman in January regardless of class (and in no real order)
1. Jordan Mukes 2021 DB 6-4, 200
2. Gentry Williams 2022 ATH 6-0, 180
3. Bryce Foster 2021 OG 6-4, 320
4. Kendrick Blackshire 2021 MLB 6-2, 245
5. Trenalius Tatum 2021 OLB 6-2, 220
6. Ishmael Ibraheem 2021 CB 6-1, 180
7. Emeka Megwa 2022 RB 6-0, 220
8. Armani Winfield 2022 WR 6-2, 185
9. Kobie McKinzie 2022 LB 6-3, 225 (OU verbal)
10. Jojo Earle 2021 WR 5-9, 170
Top 16 Possible Wish List Targets (and this list will obviously change greatly).
1. Camar Wheaton 6-0, 190, 4.4 RB Texas Five Star – Right now the number one RB in Texas. Has elite track speed and will likely have OU in his final five. Demarco Mission 1.
2. Caleb Williams 6-1, 200, 4.55 QB DC Area Five Star – All the focus at QB is here after the disappointing decommit by BVG. Williams Junior year film is just awesome. Very Mahome-ish. Right now Caleb is holding the only golden ticket at QB for 2021. And you know LR is him know that he has that special status. A visit to Norman in March might clarify things.
3. Bryce Foster 6-4, 320, 5.2 OG Texas Five Star – Has UT connections, Aggie parents, but OU is going all out for this monstrous attacking OG. OU is in the final five and BnB is not going down without a fight.
4. Reuben Fatheree 6-8, 300, 5.3 OT Texas Four Star/Top 250 – BnB loves this Houston area OT. Physically kind of reminds you of a more mobile Orlando Brown. Same amazing size and wingspan.
5. Kendal Daniels 6-4, 195, 4.6 OLB OK Three Star (for now) – After Downs the number two player in state. His Junior film shows this physical sideline to sideline presence. OU thinks he’s a 6-4, 225 WILL LB in college.
6. Isaiah Johnson 6-1, 180, 4.4 CB WV 4 Star/Top 100 – after a very positive year one with the OU CBs, Manning is going after big time kids. Johnson is one of them.
7. Monkell Goodwine 6-5, 265, 4.7 DE MD Four Star/Top 100 – Teammate of Aaryn Parks Goodwine is a powerful attacking DE that could fit at two spots for the Sooners. OU’s certainly making him a media graphics focus.
8. Mario Williams 5-10, 175, 4.35 WR FL Four Star/Top 100 – The speed WR from Florida that OU needs. Simmons has been all over this kid and OU will bring him in for the Spring Game and try and close the deal.
9. TreVeyon Henderson 5-11, 190, 4.4 RB Virginia/Top 100 – Target 1A at RB. Henderson has incredible homerun speed and flashes an excellent receiving game as well. Pulling him from Virginia might be difficult but another star that OU will target for a Spring Game visit. Demarco Mission 1A.
10. Trenilyas Tatum 6-2,215, 4.6 OLB Georgia/Top 250 – Excellent WILL LB who has already visited OU in January. A follow-up for the Spring Game seems very possible. His film may cause his ranking to skyrocket.
11. Savion Byrd 6-5, 270, 4.8 OT TX Top 100 – Byrd did not play OT last year (played DL) but everyone projects Byrd to be an elite OT with 1st rd grade athleticism. OU seems to be one of many teams in play.
12. Damon Payne 6-4, 295, 4.8 DT Michigan Top 100 – An elite DT. The kind of player OU has not been able to recruit recently. OU is in the Top Ten. Getting a visit would be a huge break for OU.
13. Jakailin Johnson 6-1,175, 4.4 CB MO Four Star/Top 50 – Probably the top CB recruit in the Midwest region. OU is going to need to fight off tOSU and ND as two main contenders for Johnson.
14. Kendrick Blackshire 6-2, 240, 4.7 MLB Texas Four star/Top 150 – Injured his junior with an ACL tear if he can demonstrate he’s healthy then he could reclaim top MLB prospect in the country status. He’s visited several times lately. He seems to have really connected with Odom.
15. Junior Colson 6-2, 215, 4.55 OLB Tenn Four Star/Top250. Teammate of Reggie Grimes and has been making a habit of getting players from Tenn lately. Colson on film is making plays all over the field showing excellent speed in pursuit. He’s talking up OU on Twitter so hopefully Coach Odom can get him to Norman
16. Terrion Arnold 6-2, 190, 4.45 FL Four Star/Top 250 – A physical freak at safety or a huge physical corner for the Speed D. OU’s part of a group that has offered early. OU has signed back to back Florida DBs so maybe Arnold makes a third.
Top 10 Evaluations by OU (kids not highly ranked but look great on film. The Dontae Mannings of 2021)
1. Keeshawn Silver 6-5, 255, 4.7 DE NC 3 star – Just a Beast on Film. I hope OU can stay involved.
2. Ranieria Dilworth 6-2, 195, 4.4 LB NC 3 star – He might be the fastest looking LB/safety type that I have seen on film. Just imagining him at Nickel in the SpeedD. OU has some distance to make up, OU is outside his top five right now
3. Jordan Mukes 6-4, 200, 4.6? Safety OK no stars – An instate star whose film has just blown up. He’s amazingly looking athlete on the basketball court as well. No OU offer yet, but it’s just a matter of time. He would look great playing safety for the Sooners.
4. Jantzen Dunn 6-2, 175, 4.5 CB KY 3 stars – More of an all round athlete on film but OU probably likes Dunn at CB. He has the length that OU is looking for.
5. Leonard Taylor 6-4, 280, 4.8 DT FL 3 stars – Taylor is an attacking DT that has the right size and frame to add some weight while still keeping that explosive first step.
6. Zyun Reeves 6-7, 245 DE NC 3 stars – This kid is so raw at DE but he might have a 7-3 wingspan. His arm extension means he’s always hitting the OL first and he’s almost grabbing the QB over the OL several times in highlights.
7. Terrence Cooks 6-2, 210, 4.6 TX LB no stars – Might be the best WILL type LB in the state. OU offered early and seems to be in the race for his signature.
8. Tobechi Okoli 6-5, 245, 4.7 DE KS 3 stars – DE from the KC area on the Kansas side. Big frame and very athletic. Probably will play in college at closer to 260 to 270.
9. Nathaniel Wiggins 6-2, 175, 4.5 CB GA 3 stars – Another long CB type offered by OU. OU’s made Georgia a focus and is going to land a defender or two soon.
10. J. Michael Sturdivant 6-3, 180, 4.45 WR TX 3 stars – Somehow J. Michael had been under the radar despite having a huge junior year. He’s visited OU already and OU looks to make him a focus.
Class prediction 24 spots
QB: Caleb Williams
RB: Camar Wheaton, Treveyon Henderson
WR: Mario Williams, Cody Jackson, J. Michael Sturdivant
OL: Cullen Montgomery, Reuben Fatheree, Bryce Foster, Savion Byrd
DL/DT: Monkell Goodwine, Shemar Turner
DE/OLB: Ethan Downs, Keeshawn Silver
LB: Trenilyas Tatum, Kendrick Blackshire, Kendal Daniels
OLB/Rush End: Clayton Smith
Safeties: Jordan Mukes, Terrion Arnold
CBs: Isaiah Johnson, Jakailin Johnson, Jantzen Dunn.